On The Record
You may be surprised by how much information you have the right to know. Connecticut Open Records is led by a group of journalists from across Connecticut who track the accessibility of public records in the state. Educate yourself and learn how Sunshine Laws and the Freedom of Information Act impact democracy, journalism and you. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Connecticut Freedom of Information Act: A printable copy of the statutes.
RCFP's FOIA Letter Generator: Craft specific, well-written requests that can help you avoid delays.
MuckRock: A powerful open government tool that can make FOI requests on your behalf.
Record Retentions Schedule: See how long different state municipalities must keep public documents.
Journalist's Legal Guide: Useful guide for journalists and bloggers in any medium.
Conn. Office of Government Accountability: Includes citizen guide, court decisions & contested cases.
IRE Resource Center: A major research library containing more than 25,000 investigative stories.
Government Information Services: Includes federal case log, tips and resources.
Conn. Law Libraries: Research guides, links and statutes on state Freedom of Information law.
SPJ: FOI resources from the Society of Professional Journalists.
Conn. Foundation for Open Government: Dedicated to promoting open and accountable government.
Open Secrets: Non partisan guide to money's influence on politics and elections.
Follow The Money: Powerful resource for info on money in state politics.
Legistorm: Website dedicated to providing important information about U.S. Congress.
Guide Star: Search public info on nonprofit organizations.
- Are you a ray of sunshine? Take the quiz.
- Freedom of Information: Tips and Tales
- Cool Justice Report
- New Haven Register Investigations Blog
- The Hartford Courant Scoop Blog
- FOI FYI SPJ Blog
- The FOIA Ombudsman
- Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- U.S. Department of Justice
- East Hampton Board of Education to redo vote after...
- Your letter may become a public document
- East Hampton Board of Education holds potentially ...
- Making Connecticut bright and shiny: Our grading s...
- State police claim a bare bones press release is e...
- FOI Commission considering case involving Derby em...
- The Register Citizen: Torrington police memo-ries
- Requests for records, reasons for denial
- Litchfield County Times uses FOI request to obtain...
- Sunshine Week and a new FOI committee
Our Connecticut Publications
- New Haven Register
- Register Citizen
- Middletown Press
- Connecticut Magazine
- West Hartford News
- Litchfield County Times
- Housatonic Times
- Passport Magazine
- Fairfield Minuteman
- Westport Minuteman
- Shoreline Times
- Milford-Orange Bulletin
- The Avon News
- The Canton News
- Foothills Trader
- The Granby News
- The Litchfield News
- The Simsbury News
- Thomaston Express